Joss Whedon’s favourite brother and sister act have been confirmed.
#excuse me while i throw myself into a volcano
As cool as this sounds, I’m skeptical. Getting to even use Wanda is a bit sketch re: Fox’s rights to all things mutant. They definitely can’t use the M word, which… will make explaining her existence kinda complicated (possibly his too; I’m far less familiar with him as a character, though).
That said, I think I just heard stickthisbig wet herself from a state and a half away.
Apparently because Wanda and Pietro are Avengers they exist in this limbo between companies. So as long as Fox isn’t using them they’re up for play in an Avengers title.
So sixcees of course emailed me about this confirmation this morning and I fangasmed my way around for an hour after. Current TL;DR thoughts of someone with SRS MAXIMOFF FEELS (aka me) who is cautiously optimistic on the subject:
1. Marvel is indeed allowed to use them. There’s a specific arrangement with those two characters that would allow us to use them with Avengers, but not discuss or reference their mutant or Magneto-related lineage. [Fox] can use them as mutants and as Magneto’s relatives, but cannot have anything to do with The Avengers. (Thanks, Bear.)
2. The Maximoffs choosing refuge with the Avengers post-break with Magneto’s Brotherhood is a very significant event in their early character development. They turned down a chance to be X-Men more than once.
Much later, Pietro of course worked for X-Factor and linked up with the X-Men (also FF, Inhumans, Heroes for Hire, etc. etc. magpie Pietro) sometimes—but that was never a home, more an escape from home. Wanda is one of the most consistent Avengers in canon. Ever.
3. Yes, it seems odd to do them without Magneto, but they didn’t even know they were Magneto’s biological children until the 80s anyhow. They had already been Avengers for years, Pietro was living on the moon with Crys, baby Luna, and the Inhumans, and Wanda was married to the Vizh and living in a New Jersey suburb. (No, seriously.)
They have loads of canon to draw from before that point that does not rely specifically on Magneto (read: daddy issues) so much as it does themes of general redemption.
4. There are about 8940148 canon ways to go about their powers without them being mutants. It does dismiss a fundamental part of their struggle, in a way, but they have enough of that to go around that shifting the focus elsewhere doesn’t have to damage them as characters—especially since they’ll hardly be the focus of the film.
Things their powers have been tied to (other than their genes) in canon include: Transia/Wundagore, Terragen mists/crystals, Isotope E, straight up magic*, science!, dimensional/galactic hijinks. No problem choosing one and adapting it to the Movieverse.
5. Personally I’d prefer them to be a part of the Avengers franchise for reasons that go beyond my comic canon ones above. While First Class was my favorite X-Men movie in a lot of ways (flawed, so flawed, but that’s a separate post), that franchise is a hot mess, and they would never be anything but props for Magneto there.
While I am fairly critical of Whedon (love some, don’t love others), I do think these are two characters who are right up his alley, and would prefer he got the first crack at them any day. Had this talk with ladypandora and sixcees both recently, and. Yeah. Speedster snark and badass witchyhero. Definitely on the “can do” list for him.
And as a sidebar: If I see one more person speculate on whether this is going to go all Ultimates I will scream. Locking two of my favorite characters into a mutually abusive corruption of the relationship that basically defines them? NOT OKAY.
*Another personal thing: would rather they didn’t go that route, because you gotta be really mindful and I don’t trust Hollywood with it. It’s bad enough to name your Roma superhero “Scarlet Witch”, but you can go with reclamation/a good sense of irony there if you are conscious of the problems, and the powers after which she is named are not racist (it’s the later fuckups with them that could be, at times). If I have to deal with any Anti-Romanyist stereotypes in this movie I will flip my shit.
Okay I think my Maximoff Feels are done exploding for the moment. That won’t last long but whatever.